Deutschčeský jazykEnglish
Veranstaltungen
Artikel
Kontakte
Schloss Wildeck
Address:
Schloss Wildeck 109405 Zschopau

Phone: +49 (0)3725 287170

Fax: +49 (0)3725 287180

opening times castle & museums:

Mon

11 am - 6 pm

Tue

11 am - 6 pm

Wed.

closed

Thu

11 am - 6 pm

Fri

11 am - 6 pm

closed 24./25./ 31.12.

 


opening times castle gardens:

Mai - Sept.

10 am - 6 pm

Oct. - April

10 am - 4 pm

Citizen Office / Tourist Information
Address:
Altmarkt 209405 Zschopau

Phone: +49 (0)3725 2870

Fax: +49 (0)3725 287222

Website: http://www.zschopau.de

opening times:

Mon.

09.00 - 3.00 pm

Tue.

09.00 - 6.00 pm

Wed.

09.00 - 2.00 pm
(city offices closed)

Thu.

09.00 - 5.00 pm

Fri.

09.00 - 2.00 pm

Sat.

09.00 - 11.00 am
(the registration office open by appointment)

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, the Community Office between 12.00 - 1.00 pm clock are closed.

  • Rasmussen

    Rasmussen

  • Ausstellung07

    Ausstellung07

  • Ausstellung03

    Ausstellung03

  • Classic-Zuverlaessikeitsfahrt

    Classic-Zuverlaessikeitsfahrt

  • Enduro02

    Enduro02

History - 1950 bis 2002

1950 until 1990
A Second Start after WWII until the German Reunification

1950

27th March - Opening of the IFA education centre in the former main factory building in Zschopau. In the course of the year, the production departments from Wilischthal return to Zschopau and take up the production in halls 6, 7, 13, 14 and 15. All in all, 1.700 RT 125 are produced.

12th June - Foundation of the company's sports club "BSG Motor Zschopau" with Albin Henning as its leader. For the first time, 110 RT 125 are exported to the Netherlands, another 150 go to Norway. Trial models of the BK 350. A third place is gained with an RT 125 in the German Street Racing Championship.

1951

Erhart Krumpholz succeeds as top rider within several races with his RT 125. From the 1st of October, the company name of DKW is prohibited.

1952

Start of the production of the BK 350 (two cylinder, two-stroke flat engine with an universal joint, 15 horsepower) - initial series.
728 workers and members of staff. 8.135 motorcycles (8.104 RT 125, 31 BK 350) are produced. Bernhard Petruschke wins several races on a RT125 ZPH which was improved by Daniel Zimmermann.

1953 The education centre is connected with the main factory. Establishment of a racing department under the direction of Walter Kaaden and the riders Erhard Krumpholz, Horst Fügner, Siegfried Haase and later on Bernhard Petruschke. Four victories are gained in the 125 cc class by Fügner, Haase and Kaden.
1954

A fully automatic assembly line for the production of half casings starts to operate. Construction of an improved RT 125/1.
Five victories on 125 cc racing machines by Krumpholz and Fügner. Siegfried Haase takes part in a competition on the Sachsenring on a 250 cc two cylinder racing machine for the first time - at first without success.
Building of kindergarten for the employee's children.

1955

9.06. Rudolf Meixner (GDR Motorcycle Cross Country Champion) has a fatal accident in Isny/ Allgäu.
16.10. motorcycle cross country event "Around Zschopau". Horst Fügner becomes GDR champion in the 125 cc class and runners up with a 250 cc machine. Furthermore, he is also internationally successful.

1956

The model RT125/2 is introduced on the market at the beginning of the year. The company name "MZ" short for "Motorcycle Factory Zschopau” is also introduced. A huge serial production of the ES 250 starts in June, followed by the ES 175 and the sidecar vehicle E 300 in December. Installation of new assembly lines for engine and tyre production, as well a conveyer belt running through all departments. The installation of running-in testing benches replaces the running-in of engines on the streets.
Besides Krumpholz and Fügner, Degner wins for the first time on an MZ-RE 125. From 1951 onwards, MZ with its two stroke engine machines takes part in cross country events. At the beginning, with the models RT 125 and BK 350, later with models from the ES series, which were adjusted for competitions. Already within the first year, the team wins nine times in different classes due to the drivers Fischer, Sprung, Liebe and Winkler.

1957

The education centre moves to the site at Waldkirchner Straße. 304 trainees are educated in jobs working with metal and another 124 receive business management training. The number of employees has been raised to 3.000 workers and members of staff in the factory.
Production: 35.045 RT 125/2, 5.410 ES 175, 10.050 BK 350 and 4.040 ES 250.
Degener succeeds in seven national and international races in the 125 cc class. Host Fügner wins a competition on an MZ 250 cc in Tubbergen.

1958

Improvement of the 125 cc MZ to the model RT 125/3 and RT 125/4. With the beginning of the year 1959, the foundry in Annaberg is taken over.
MZ takes part in World Championship runs for the first time. Besides Fügner and Degner, the Swiss driver Luigi Raveri starts for MZ.
The old MZ company riders are replaced by Werner Musiol, Walther Brehme and Hans Fischer. Thus, the team wins some talented driver once more.
Fügner succeeds on a new MZ-RE 250 in the Grand Prix and is runners up in the World Championship. Besides 17 gold medals for Fischer, Hermann and Stiegler, Fischer also wins in his class the two-day race in Suhl.

1959

The production of the BK 350 ends. Overall, 41.000 BK 350 were manufactured of which 6.000 were exported. Of the 35.000 sold in the GDR, only 4.000 were constructed with the possibility to attach side car.
At the end of the year, the small serial production of cross country machine starts. 17 victories are gained on MZ racing motorcycles: five by Degner, two each by Fügner and Brehme. Fügner has an accident in Spa-Francorchamps and has to end his racing career. Also foreign drivers ride the MZ motorcycles: Mike Hailwood, Gary Hocking, Derek Minter. The cross country riders, now with the support of Werner Salevsky, win 37 gold medals.

1960 The MZ racing department is established in Hohndorf. Again, the riders of the MZ street racing machines gain 17 victories: seven by Degner, six by Hans Fischer and three by Werner Musiol who also wins the GDR championship in the 250 cc class. Klaus Halster wins the GDR championship in the 125 cc class. The MZ cross country successes include 4 class victories and 30 gold medals.
1961

01.10. Opening of the two-stroke engine motorcycle museum at Augustusburg castle which was highly supported by the customer support manager Rudolf Hiller.
With twelve class victories and the overall victory at the Austrian Alpine Race by Werner Salevsky und at the international two-day race in Orebro/ Sweden by Horst Liebe as well as 28 gold medals, the Zschopauer riders are paid even more attention to.
After a successful street racing season for MZ until autumn (14 victories by Brehme, Fischer, Musiol and Degner), the hope to win the World Championship is destroyed by Degner at the second last run by the bdestroyed power unit of his MZ.
He leaves MZ and sells important construction plans to Suzuki.

1962

The manufacture of the model RT 125 comes to an end at the beginning of the year. In twelve years 310.800 bikes were produced of which 64.000 were exported. It is replaced by the model ES 125/150. The ES 175/1 is constructed with a stronger engine.
03.12. Commissioning of the new electroplating.
MZ's street racing team manages to win 15 races with the team members Fischer, Brehme, Musiol, the Hungarian Szabo and, for the first time, Klaus Enderlein. Above that, the cross country riders succeed in seven classes and gain the overall victory at the Austrian Alpine Race by Werner Salevsky.

1963 The installation of mechanical polishing devices ends the manual production in the polishing department. The installation of an automatic phosphating system and an assembly line with an electrostatic finishing and infrared drying cabin follows.

The nine victories of the street racing team are gained by the members Enderlein, Fischer, Musiol, Szabo and Mike Hailwood. The winning of the trophy at the International Six-Days Race in Spindlerruv/CSSR by the GDR national team - all members of MZ - with Werner Salevsky, Peter Uhlig, Bernd Uhlmann, Horst Lohr, Hans Weber and Günter Baumann is the beginning of a one of a kind success series and followed by five more victories.

1964 Erfurt - with the same team as in 1963
1965 Isle of Man/England - new member: Karlheinz Wagner
1966 Schweden
1967 Zakopane
1969 Garmisch-Partenkirchen

1964

The most important - among 18 other - victories is the one by Alan Shepherd at World Championship run in Daytona/USA. Two more talented riders join the MZ factory racing team: Heinz Rosner and Dieter Krumphol

1965

After a new production site in Mühlbach (from 1963), a storage building in Niederau becomes part of MZ. The motorcycle factory Zschopau reaches its highest yearly output of motorcycles: 90.000 - ES 125 - 44.000, ES 175 - 15.000, ES 250 - 31.000.
From 1961 until 1971, 256.928 MZ motorcycles are exported.
Many suggestions for improvements by the members of staff increase sales to millions. The time to produce one single motorcycle (ES 250) is decreased from 28,7 hours (1961) to 24,2 hours.

1966


W. Salevsky wins the Alpine Race for the third time after 1961 and 1962.

1967

Peter Uhlig, Bernd Uhlmann and Karlheinz Wagner succeed all in the different European Cups.

1968 Peter Uhlig on a MZ 175 and Werner Salevsky on a MZ 250 become European champions in cross country racing.
1969 Serial production of the improved models ES 125/1 and 150/1. With the same engines as the ES models, the ETS models are produced with an additional new kind of motorcycle forks. With the beginning of the production of the MZ ETS 250, the replacement of the MZ full lever types commences.
1970

21.06. The millionth MZ motorcycle since 1950, a EZS 250 Trophy Sport, is finished.
29.200 motorcycles are exported
The motorcycle factory Zschopau becomes part of the IFA cooperation for two-wheeled engines in Suhl. Thus, the administrative channels are extended instead of shortened.

1971 Fred Willamowski becomes European Champion in the 350 cc class. The MZ team gains the third place at the Six-Days Race. The export of motorcycles reaches 50 percent. Customers in 65 different countries buy the motorcycles made in Zschopau.
1972

The formerly private factories Fa. Grünert, Hetzdorf and Fa. Stoye, Leipzig become part of the motorcycle factory.

1973 Beginning of the serial production of the model TS 150.
1974

The MZ team gains a brilliant second place at the international Six-Day race. Frank Schubert wins the European Cup in the 250 cc class as runners up for the third time after 1971 and 1972.

1975 From 1971 until 1975, 410.000 MZ motorcycles are produced. In 1975, 92.000 bikes are manufactures of which 45.000 are exported.
1976 An improved TS 250/1 with a five-speed transmission is produced.
1977 The models ES 125/150 is not produced any longer after 15 years. With 340.500 bikes, the model ES 150 and ES 150/1 is the model with the highest production number of the motorcycle factory in Zschopau.
1978 The branches in Gornau and Brand-Erbisdorf become part of the motorcycle factory in Zschopau. Manfred Jäger becomes the European Champion on an MZ 500/G.
1981 The serial production of the ETZ 250 starts in April and replaces the TS series which has been built for eight years. The engine of the model has a strength 21 horsepower. This is the beginning of the complete renewal in MZ’s range of products. A first production building is put into service at the new location in Hohndorf. In the years 1981, 1983 and 1984 Jens Scheffler and in 1983, 1984 and 1985 Harald Sturm become European champions in their respective classes.
1982 83.000 motorcycles are produced, of which 58.000 are exported in non-socialist economic areas, 14.000 bikes are sent into countries belonging to the council for mutual economic support and only 11.000 are left for sale in the GDR.
1983


07.07. The two millionth MZ motorcycles leaves the factory.

1985 From 1973 until 1985, 326.000 bikes of the model TS 150 are produced all in all.
1987

Despite of not working to the full capacity, 300 machines leave the factory in Zschopau on a daily basis. The shortage of materials and workers are the reasons why higher output numbers cannot be reached.
At the 62. International Six-Day Race in Jelenia Gora/Poland, MZ and Simson riders of the GDR national team win again the Enduro World Championship. The juniors also succeed.

1988

With the beginning of the production in the new factory building in Zschopau and the start of the operation of the heating house, the new location in Hohndorf is further expanded.

1989 At the 35th "Around the MZ town Zschopau", Uwe Weber wins the overall ranking before Harald STurm. At the end of the year, the test runs of the four-stroke machines start.
1990

05.03. The meeting of trusted people (German: Vertrauensleutevollversammlung) comments on the situation of MZ. The management hopes to keep the jobs of their 3.200 employees and to be able to produce 70.000 motorcycles. However, due to the upcoming monetary reform and the inclusion into the capitalistic economic system, difficulties in sales and thus in the safeguarding of jobs are expected. (However, nobody knew what came instead.) The MZ education centre has its 50th anniversary. Thousands of workers had been trained there. Polytechnic lessons have been taught for 30 years.

09.07. After the monetary reform, the "Treuhand" (lit.: escrow) starts the privatization of the former public owned companies.

01.09. The transformation of the company into a private limited company which is controlled by a single associate of the escrow.
Overall, 2.545.112 motorcycles have been produced at MZ from 1950 untiö 1990. "Around Zschopau" is part of the world championship run. 138 Enduro specialists start in the race. Due to the loss of the markest in Eastern and Southern Europe, the production decreases drastically and many employees loose their jobs.

 

 

1991 until 1997
Liquidation of the Motorcycle Factory Zschopau - New Beginning as MuZ and MZ-B

1991

Only 1950 employees are left at the motorcycle factory.
19.11. The by the escrow presented rehabilitation concept intends to employ only 250 workers for the motorcycle production. The management opposes this suggestion as it would mean mass dismissals.
18.12. The escrow decides the liquidation of the company by the end of the year. The management is able to postpone this decision until the 30th June 1992. Condition: The employees have to provide the company with ten percent of their wages as interest-free loan.
01.04. Start of the serial production of the model "Fun".
13.04. Start of the serial production of the model "Saxon Tour".
01.07. Foundation of the "Motorcycle and Two-Wheeled Vehicles Ltd." (German: Motorrad- und Zweiradwerkes GmbH) (MuZ) with 80 employees. The new manager is Petr-Karel Karous. The new range of products is presented in September: the "Silver Star Classic 500", the "Saxon Country" and from October on the "Skorpion" models.

1993

At times, 250 employees. The company's administration moves into the new production and administration building in Hohndorf.

1994 In February, the last motorcycle, a "Saxon Sportstar" 125 cc leaves the factory in Zschopau. At this point, 72 years of motorcycle manufacturing in the Dischau valley ends. From now on the models "Skorpion", “Saxon Country", Saxon Sportstar", "Saxon Tour" and the scooter "Charly" are manufactured in Hohndorf.
1995

The factory is in danger, again. All two-stroke models (except the 125 cc "Sportstar") are sold to Turkey.

1996

The company "MZ-B Vehicle Ltd." moves into the abandoned building in Zschopau. They start with the production of the "RT 125 Classic", the "Horex Chopper Imperator 125" and the "Horex Regent".
The Malyan company Hong Leong Ind. takes over MuZ on the 1st September 1996. They aim at a production of 5.000 motorcycles per year.
With the take-over, a new future had started for the employees, as fresh impulses have been given due to the effort to present a new range of products and to strengthen the company's philosophy during the last years. The new era is signified by highly qualified and motivated employees, future-oriented investments into research and development combined with modern constructions and consistent quality.
MuZ has a range of 13 models. They are based on the construction series with 550 cc and 660 cc one cylinder machines. Consistent sporty motorcycles, bikes suitable for travelling, classic models - including a sidecar - as well as new so-called fun bikes and Enduro machines prove a balanced range.
With the Enduro Cup run "In and around Zschopau" in 1996, an exciting motorsport event is presented to the audience.

1997 MuZ produces the models "Country" and "Tour" only on demand. However, a varied selection is offered by the production of the models "Traveller", "Replica", "Tour", and "Sport" from the series Skorpion 660. They all contain a four-stroke engine. Later, the new Enduro "Baghira" and the fun bike "Mastiff" are serially produced.
1998 On the 9th September, the "MZ-B vehicle Ltd" declares to be insolvent.
1999 The new RT 125 with a four stroke engine is presented in October. MuZ is renamed into MZ.
2000 Start of the serial production of the RT 125 in March. Thus, a in Zschopau developed four-stroke engine is applied for the first time. A study on the MZ 1000 S is presented on the "Intermot" in Munich in September. Above that, the new models MZ 125 SM and MZ 125 SX is presented to the public.
2001 The production of the models 125 SM and 125 SX starts.
2002 The ten thousandth electrical scooter "Charly" is produced.
 
 
 
nach oben